Slow Cooker Lentil and Sweet Potato Curry
This slow-cooker lentil and sweet potato curry is filled with the aroma of garlic, ginger, garam masala, and Thai red curry paste.
Slow Cooker Lentil and Sweet Potato CurryCourse: MainCuisine: ThaiDifficulty: Easy
Dried red lentils 2 cups
Sweet potato 4 cups, peeled and cubed
Water 3 ½ cups, divided
Low sodium fat-free vegetable broth 2 cups
White onion ¾ cup, finely chopped
Garlic 3 cloves, minced
Fresh ginger 2 teaspoons, peeled and grated
Thai red curry paste 3 tablespoons
Ground turmeric 2 teaspoons
Garam masala 2 teaspoons
Sugar 1 tablespoon, divided
Kosher salt ¾ teaspoon
Canned light coconut milk 1 cup
Tomato paste 1 can (6 oz)
Apple cider vinegar ½ cup
Red onion 1 cup, very thinly sliced
Fresh cilantro leaves 1 cup
Hot cooked brown rice 4 cups
- Coat a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine lentils, sweet potatoes, 3 cups water, vegetable broth, white onion, garlic, ginger, Thai red curry paste, turmeric, and garam masala in the prepared slow cooker.
- Stir in tomato paste, salt, and 1 teaspoon sugar, cover, and cook on low setting for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, turn off the heat and stir in coconut milk, let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl combine remaining ½ cup water, remaining sugar, and vinegar and microwave for 2 minutes or until boiling.
- Add onion to vinegar and sugar mixture, let stand for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Drain and set aside.
- Place ½ cup of cooked rice in each of 8 shallow bowls.
- Top each bowl with lentil and sweet potato curry, 2 tablespoons of red onion mixture, and garnish each bowl with 2 tablespoons of cilantro.